I always felt sorry for Rumpelstiltskin. He's always portrayed as the bad guy. It's always the miller's daughter/queen that people are supposed to root for, but if it weren't for Rumpelstiltskin, she wouldn't have even been alive to be Queen or have a kid. So really she owes him her life.
To make this a little more fair, I've compiled the facts. They might be slightly biased though.
- A father's terrible actions would have killed his daughter if Rumpelstiltskin hadn't come along. The father is really to blame for all of this mess. He is a very bad man.
- He asked her for the daughters first born, which was a little steep, but he had spun gold twice for her, and you don't get something for nothing. She said yes. She committed.
Now here I think that a good reason for Rumpelstiltskin wanting the child was because he wanted a child of his own but could not have one, or maybe he lost his own child. Or maybe he really is evil and wanted to turn it into a demon, or eat it or something.
- Rumpelstiltskin took pity on her and gave her a chance to thwart him by her guessing his name. He gave her an unlimited amount of guesses, so it was very fair. She was going back on her promise.
- She sends a messenger to go out and find all the names he can, and he spies on Rumpelstiltskin. I call this cheating.
- Rumpelstiltskin was angry and tore himself in two when his real name was guessed. A name is a precious thing, and so it makes sense that he was angry. Maybe he was upset too, as he didn't have a kid to bring up.
He's just misunderstood really.
What do you think?